Friday, June 09, 2017

Lost A Friend + SM Review-Preview 93

Sorry for a personal post. A childhood friend died. He had called our baseball crew the Originals. That was because tragedy struck us and killed a teammate when we were 13. As we made our way through high school sports, this friend would say it when someone didn't make a team, quit or injuries ended their career, "We lost an Original". I didn't expect one to die and truly lose an Original before middle age.

He was the coolest of the cool. He'd walk into a conversation and roll with whoever and even get the shy girls talking. He once wore his moms 80s necklace for an away game road trip and I busted him for it but didn't tell anyone else. He and I laughed how all the other players thought his chain looked cool, and it was a woman's 80s necklace. From a bad, bad extended family but was a legit good kid. There was always this fear that his family would get to him, but he always remained the wisecracking funny kid.

He married a pretty girl from our school and had some kids. I last saw him a few years ago in a grocery store back home where he gave me the Wassup Cuz and quick catch up on life. Ended with a handshake into a bro hug. I knew he was sick and contacted his wife when I heard there was no hope. I rearranged a business trip and set it up so I could drive up to home for 48 hours. See fam and see him. He was already too weak and barely awake. I knew it'd be close. I missed him by a week. Now I have to see his wife, see his kids and tell them how in school their dad was the coolest at our school.


------------------------------
 
Last week I wrote about the potential for a reversal of urbanization. This would involve using tech and reorienting goals. A little coordination would help. Weimerica Weekly covered the career of Chuck Palahniuk, who seemed to see our social malaise and dystopia coming but faded away.

This week I may not have anything for an essay as I have to travel as cited above. Weimerica Weekly will be up though. I'll talk about Real Estate and bubbles.

5 comments:

Toddy Cat said...

Please accept my condolences on the loss of your friend. May God's Eternal Light shine upon him.

forest grump said...

The worst part of getting older. Sorry for your loss.

PA said...

I'm glad you wrote this. Friendship is one of the things that makes life worth living.

peterike said...

Dark house, by which once more I stand
Here in the long unlovely street,
Doors, where my heart was used to beat
So quickly, waiting for a hand,

A hand that can be clasp'd no more -
Behold me, for I cannot sleep,
And like a guilty thing I creep
At earliest morning to the door.

He is not here; but far away
The noise of life begins again,
And ghastly thro' the drizzling rain
On the bald street breaks the blank day.

― Alfred Tennyson, In Memoriam

Bryant said...

Just letting you know that I'm going to try to shoot for one of the "reversal of urbanization" moves in life myself. Will let you know how it goes.