Friday, June 12, 2015

My Heroin Piece at Taki's

Go read The Zombies of Fishtown at Taki's.

1. Special thanks to Steve Sailer for connecting me with the editor at Taki's. I would also take this moment to write that Sailer puts out things weekly that the rest of us aspire to and maybe only reach once a month or a quarter if at all. Thanks Steve.

2. This will probably be my only piece in Taki's. I don't think I'm quite what they are looking for. I am thankful for the opportunity. I also am leery of providing an essay to them regularly. I wish my grandfather was alive to see me published at a place that publishes Pat Buchanan. He'd laugh, mock me and ask why it isn't "printed on paper like a real writer".

3. Thank you all for encouragement. My readership has grown from 5 readers (including my wife) to many more now (wife no longer reads it). Made me think I could get this in there. This is the twin post from last Sunday's Social Matter heroin post.

4. I had cast a lot more blame at progressives for supporting social liberalization and then free trade and open borders since 1992, betraying the union whites, but that did not make the final cut. We know the score. There is one missing important part to me, and it captures what I just typed. It was snipped and cut down in size. I'll put it here. I can't have it go unpublished anywhere. It involves that Blood Meridian line I used yesterday. I thought it was just too applicable to this perfect storm that allowed heroin to blossom in the small towns and 'burbs.
In Blood Meridian, Cormac McCarthy's fantastic judge says that "War was always here. Before man was, war waited for him. The ultimate trade awaiting its ultimate practitioner". Heroin was always there, maybe not in large numbers but it was waiting for Fishtown. Fishtown's secular population riddled with broken homes and economic gloom found its perfect escape. The seclusion of the suburbs, the atomization of a population, the search for anything to take them away for six hours. Listen to their descriptions of heroin highs being like six hour orgasms or baths in warm honey. America's working class plunging into the abyss of heroin is the perfect embodiment of the vitalism phase of our decadent culture.
That was the final paragraph before the conclusion. I know there is not a "link" or factual piece in it, but it's the kind of touch I like to add to my writing (also a heroin addict once said that honey bath line). It also fit with how every piece of societal engineering both social and economic made this heroin epidemic among the working and lower class whites possible, and it is really just a symptom of deeper problems. Heroin was just waiting for the perfect setting and the perfect users. In Marion, Ohio, the heroin junkies are so dutiful that they work at the popcorn plant to make just enough cash to buy just enough dope to repeat the cycle. Crack and Meth heads don't have that discipline.

5. Like many of you, I've seen the change in Fishtown. My home area has little "Belmonts" and "Fishtowns" right next to each other. It kills me to see the Fishtowns decline.
 
I hope you enjoy, go read it at Taki's.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are a serious talent - keep it up. The pieces on Nixon are some of my favorites.

D.R. Brooker said...

Stumbled upon your blog about 6 months ago and read every column through my RSS reader. Have really enjoyed almost everything. Keep it up.

R. Wilbur said...

Fantastic.

And I agree with the Anon-post re: Nixon.

I think you could get some traction out of a long essay or e-book expanding on your "Nixon saw the Cathedral" theme.

NZT said...

Congrats on the Taki connection and thanks for all your work keeping up the blog. It's a daily read for me and always insightful and interesting. I haven't been shy about recommending it to others who maybe aren't ready for, say, MPC.

BWBandy said...

I found you through Sailer. You are now a daily read. Keep at it, I enjoy it.

Portlander said...

Congratulations! I haven't read the piece yet, but that's a great closing paragraph.

OK, I'd tighten it up and indulge in a little more literary license --

... Heroin was always there, the ultimate escape awaiting the ultimate desperation. Maybe not in large numbers but it was waiting for Fishtown. Fishtown's secularized population riddled with broken homes and economic gloom found its perfect escape. The seclusion of the suburbs, the atomization of a population, and a search for anything to take them away for six hours is revealed in their descriptions of heroin highs being like six hour orgasms or baths in warm honey. America's working class plunging into the abyss of heroin is the perfect embodiment of the vitalism phased out of our decadent culture.

-- but it should have stayed! :) Editors... still stuck in the column-inches paradigm, like pixels cost money or something.

Anyway, as I'm sure you're well aware, a decadent culture collapsing under its own ennui is hardly a new literary theme. Neither is a drug-addled final solution. Hey, I think quite a few here are the right age to have caught 'Prayer of the Rollerboys' when it hit cable. What is unique, is it being the manifest policy of a people's co-ethnics and ostensible civic leadership.

One last thing I want to say, a buddy of mine back in the day said Marx was half-right, religion maybe the opiate of the masses, but what if they do need an opiate. They've taken away religion, offered in its place consumer electronics, and then act shocked, shocked(!) when people decide to turn to the real thing. Again, hardly a new or unique phenomenon. What is unique is it being perpetrated by sociopath co-ethnics. Feather-Indians could blame US Gov. Dot-Indians could blame the British. Who does Fishtown blame? I suppose some would answer the Jews. Maybe so... one has to wonder.

OK, off to Taki-mag. I do usually try to hit it once a month or so.

peterike said...

Excellent piece. They should have kept in the paragraph, but hey, that's what happens when you deal with editors. It's inevitable.

I agree with you that the demise of the Fishtowns is painful to watch. Those, really, are my people. Nobody is lower on the foodchain to the Powers That Be. Indeed, they actively want to destroy the white working classes, and most of the middle too. And they're doing it.

Somewhat along these lines, the other day I took the train to Philly and then had to drive south of the city. Because there was construction on the highway with a huge traffic jam, I had my GPS re-route me over local roads. Wellll.... since my GPS doesn't have a "no ghetto" setting, I found myself on a long, slow ride through the gheh-toe. I think it was Route 13.

Holy crackburgers! Mile after mile of impossibly horrible neighborhoods, the streets full of capable adults doing nothing, though this was in the middle of a work day morning. It seemed a lot more toxic than the New York ghetto neighborhoods. And outside of the occasional Chinese person, it was pretty much 100% black. Not even Mexicans lolling around.

We are so messed up.

Mike said...

"I think it was Route 13."

Lol. Peterike, I know that route. You likely passed through Chester, PA. People are more aware of Camden, NJ but Chester is every bit as bad and, IMO, worse. You could have driven north on Route 13 out of Philly and would have encountered neighborhoods just as bad. I lived blocks away from the actual Fishtown for four years and the funny thing is it's actually gentrifying now and not that bad of a hood relatively speaking. A better example of a "Fishtown" in that area today is Northeast Philadelphia (Rhawnhurst, Mayfair), historically home to a white working class but rapidly succumbing to Section 8 and filling up with Basketball Americans.


SOBL, congrats on the Taki piece. I'm not an NRX/alt-right junkie but I get that it's a big platform. I'll politely disagree with the other commenters that Nixon is your best topic, it's Rubin. The world needs a book about the importance of 1992 and the changes in the DNC leadership. Too many books on Nixon anyway.

Anonymous said...

Very cool you got on Taki's. Great job

I live in Philly, location of the actual Fishtown

Fishtown started the gentrification process around 2006. A few rock clubs helped (Johnny Brenda's), and a hipster warehouse scene nearby in Kensington. Today polo-shirt college grad bros, young yuppie families, and the hipsters that are left.

Crime is a problem since there is so much money there now, and it's surrounded by hood. Nannies get held at gunpoint and families move out of Philly after enough exposure.

It's no Belmont, still. But the hipsters and yuppies don't do as much heroin so it's a step up