Wednesday, March 11, 2015

My Spot on the Trichotomy

I was dragged into a long thread when some people were discussing the “Trike”. Someone said I wasn’t on it at all. Another said I’d see value in all pieces. It was fun to consider others perceptions before stating my reality. I’ve sometimes considered where I fit in all of this, and I keep going back to a phrase someone on MPC used to describe me “a Gen-X Steve Sailer” or “millennial Pat Buchanan”. I kind of like that because while I enjoy reading both of them and align with them quite well, they are shaped by the forces that birthed Silents and Baby Boomers. They grew up in a more unified America, so similar to Derbyshire’s belief that the two separate America’s (red and blue) will stay married, they think things will hold. I am more skeptical because I grew up in the unraveling. I’ve met the smartest blacks and there is no hope for reconciliation. The immigration we have now is nothing like pre-1920s, and even that was detrimental, and a very firm deportation program would return many of them to their native lands easily because the American Dream is a sliver of what it once was. This is not about immigration, so let’s go to the Trike.
 
Put me in that middle area but in the upper left corner that looks like the crook that is midway between Technology Capitalism and Tradition-Patriarchy. I may be misinterpreting this as I view position within the link as a measure of degree of said link.
 
Blue Spot
 
For some background, I grew up in Maine in the ‘80s and ‘90s. We had actual town hall meetings about things. Was this stupid? Maybe, but there were times where everyone came together to tackle a problem. Maine was about as close as one can get to an ethnostate since it was 99% white. Almost everyone’s heritage was British Isles or France, and mostly through Canada. Recently on twitter I admitted that maybe, just maybe, a voting system could work in a small, homogenous state with a high literacy rate. I was envisioning my childhood. I tweeted it knowing the problems though of our system because of scale, the media and debt. Maine’s tax problem is due to a bad tax base, but they allow voters to vote on floating bond issues forever, and the media is atrocious. Maine's habit of direct democracy on many issues can lead to poor finances as well as leave it open to media brainwashing.
 
As a kid, I watched the media turn (paraphrased) “50,000 acres of forests clear cut a year” have the southern portion of the state kill the logging industry and ruin the livelihoods of tens of thousands of Mainers. There are over 3.5 million acres of forests in Maine’s northern region alone. I hated that, and I was a kid in the southern part of the state. Years later, figuring out how it killed that timber and paper sector and shifted the state purple to solid blue, I hated it more. If Maine had never had to worry about US national politics nor receive Federal programs and just realize it was on its own, it might work. Without the USG as a backstop even the annoying media players could change. The Portland Press Herald (owned by the NY Times for a while) might not shout at any tax breaks for any corporations wanting to come in, and maybe they would think about keeping those loggers in business if they did not have USG welfare in reserve.
 
Could I set it up for Maine to work with voting? Maybe limiting it to landowners, maybe married landowners, maybe just one vote per household. “But what about a bank using its power to give 0 down loans to stuff the voter rolls?” True, so we would set up a law for minimum down payment. “But like someone would agitate for expanding the franchise?” Yes, Foseti, someone would, so let’s handle that, too. Secession is a fun idea, and I like it for a variety of reasons. Eliminate from power the psychos in DC who are ruining the nation, provide regions which are currently wildly different and have wildly different ideas for solutions and goals some sovereignty, provide competition with multiple English speaking sovereign states, and for other benefits like exile. Exile as a punishment could return. Powerful stuff. How can we resist the call for expansion of the vote? Have you heard of the old Athenian system of ostracism? They used broken pottery pieces to vote to exile a man from the city for 10 years. It was a way to cool off potential tyrants and remove people itching for too much. I would not bring that exactly back, but I’d borrow the concept. You agitate for expanding the vote, you and your dependents get exiled forever and pay a 100% asset tax on exit. I'm using Maine as a size stand in, but Maine has 1.3 million people with a large elderly population. Finding an agitator is not difficult. You will be dealt with, and anyone seeing the punishment stick would think twice about bringing it up again. People joke about killing all of the lawyers, but that is excessive. You would only have to kill enough for the rest to get the message. We are a decadent society so we have the wish, but no one has the will.
 
I see the value in ethnonationalism, and that is embedded in my upbringing. My heritage was explained as a positive thing whether my Anglo side, French, Scottish, etc. I was part of a chain that had endured the horrible and enjoyed highs, continuing that chain made sense. I think an ethnat focused or aware society could be a hugely positive force on birthrate, societal well being and what the Germans refer to as gleischaltung. I don’t think a hypothetical state has to be 100%. I do think a very large majority presented as the dominant culture can have minorities attempting to emulate it and work. Blacks weren’t always what they are today. Some of it is dysgenic trends, and some of it is the destruction of the old WASP culture as something to aspire to in behavior and form. Who decides what ethnicity makes up the majority because we all know not all whites are the same. We are talking about how to carve up the ethnicity because having swapped from purplish Maine to deep blue Massachusetts to red Indiana, I can verify that there is a strong split within whites. People don’t pray before a BBQ in Massachusetts because churches have become places you go to maybe for a wedding or to tour. I’ve been to too many BBQs in Indiana where they all hold hands and say a quick prayer. I do think the Maine of my childhood would have benefitted from a healthy dose of tradition and family laws that were of a patriarchal flavor. Not as much social dysfunction in that state compared to others, but I saw enough frivolous divorces wreck my friends’ grade school or middle school years. I’m not a throne and alter type, but I do believe. I do believe that a shared belief is a great foundation for a community. When the Byzantines were at their apogee, their king would be crowned by their Patriarch and the goal would be “I will keep you safe and he will seek perfection for your soul”.
 
Another reason why I skew more the tradition and technology way is that we have some amazing technology now, and should have even more in the near future. 3D printing, genetic work, robotics and even small advances in nuclear and solar power are all on the table. I am not a scientist so I cannot explain how game changing room-temperature superconductors would be, but I have read it would be awesome. Could small regions make a run for legitimate autarky? I think it’s possible. Are we possibly on the way to making humans redundant and immersive VR and potential shared networks so good that may redefine what people want for existence, so plugging in and being set up in pods might be the vote? Yes, and this would fill retirement homes of people under 55 plugging in and saying goodbye. If people really value freedom, shouldn’t we push technology to free us of the most basic restraints? Is a lumbering behemoth like our empire going to do this or would nimble, smaller political units work better? It is my prior time as an ancap that pushes me down that mass secession route and positive view towards capitalism. Not big bank finance dominated capitalism, but capitalism. I understand the need for yield to match the risk associated, but I'd like anti-usury laws back because some risks cannot be rated for and I do not want to reward the most zany risk taking behavior because I know who will run for those opportunities. Maybe some SovCorp would encourage those shekel seekers.
 
I welcome any feedback, after all, it’s just Internet posting. Despite being a former ancap, I am not an extreme techcom because an old Church line I remember, “Man cannot live on bread alone”. The tradtionalists and ethnats do have a point that there must be a rallying cry beyond money and safety. I know I have woven that into my writing; there is more to a nation than GDP growth. We're already at soulless homo economicus in many parts of America. Go to any mall in America in a diverse area. What the hell unifies those people? The dollar. The fact that they all spend money in the same economy is all. Dumb libs are flipping out over American Sniper being successful while conservakin nod their head and whisper “’Merica”. These same progs nearly faint in ecstasy over gays marrying, which disgusts everyone else. The unreported black-Hispanic war, the daily hush crimes, and the atomization are all centrifugal forces on America. That surge of patriotism after 9/11 evaporated the moment that it politically was useful for the left. Whether organic or orchestrated, our generation’s Pearl Harbor could not keep the fever going for three years. To tie this back to my introduction, I do not think “America” makes it through the fourth turning, unlike Derbyshire and Sailer, because I don’t think “America” exists anymore. At each crisis, America has emerged different than it was before, and this turning will be no different. Forget trying to fix the zombie nation and start thinking and building something new. We should seek to build something worthy of the past but also valuable as an inheritance.

22 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you read Bill Lind's "Victoria"? You'd appreciate his depiction of post-collapse Maine, which is the setting for much of the story.

PA said...

The Trichotomy should represent the three ideals as equal to each other. I just checked out Jim's original post and (not knowing the blogger well) it seems he has strong affinity for techno/capitalism and regards ethno/nationalism as a necessary evil.

In my view of things, techno/capitalism is potentially the most dangerous ideal because unchecked it devolves to worship of mammon. I disagree with Mencius, for example, about the root of the problem with liberalism lying with philosopher-brahmins. The USG global empire is not ideological. It is a runaway market.

Techno/capitalism also has the biggest potential for centralization of power.

You may recall my amusing flamewars with Whorefinder at GLP circa 2011, when he started calling me 'commie' because of my wariness of unchecked capitalism's tendency to become cannibalistic of its population.

Tradition/patriarchy is potentially the least dangerous. Its abuse creates stagnation and it's frustrating to the more independent-minded.

The danger of unchecked ethno-nationalism is aggression toward neighbors. I see nationalism as being of two kinds: supremacist and liberationists. The lack of the latter kind is why we chafe today.

Camlost said...

I'm a capitalist and business owner myself, but pretty much any "ism" is OK if you have the right demographics.

Jonathan said...

Dissolution is inevitable, and has been since the Puritans completed their Empire for Liberty, once Cleveland type elites lost out to Wilson-both Roosevelt type elites.

An Empire for Liberty with open borders will fall into long civil war, and eventually get hot.

The reason is that the greatest political genius of the 20th Century, maybe only after Lenin, is absolutely correct.....

Lee Kwan Yew:
"In multiracial societies, you don't vote in accordance with your economic interests and social interests, you vote in accordance with race..."

Scott's Bluff said...

yeah that's cool and all but i want sex :pua:

You made a powerful observation about malls that I find bubbling in my mind anytime I’m among diverse peoples or see a whole lot of them together. The atomization is palpable. What ties us together? The dollar and generic American culture, if that. Non-white fresh arrivals acquire a peppering of US culture, but s/he’s ethno-centrism comes through if stabbed at or derided, even just slightly in some cases.

Notice chauvinism among belligerent minorities, both dumb and smart albeit for different reasons. While admiring and singing praise of the US because this is the greatest country on Earth! That is why everyone wants to come here! *only came here ‘cuz Cali/NYC has mad money and comfy environment of racial Marxism* but defensively postured about ethnicity and not able to grasp that American exceptionalism, wealth, and greatness bloomed out of the very culture, long-dead culture, they mock and despise.

OK preaching to the choir.

Spot on re Boomers.

I’ve heard a 40’s Boomer vehemently deny among a class of millennials that she DOES NOT JUDGE. “I do not judge peoples life styles!” The word judge isn’t necessarily negative in meaning. “No, I do not judge people”.

But more to your point, Boomers don’t believe in US decline. I don’t believe it’s comfortable for them to comprehend. Early Boomers can see the cracks, sure; Ferguson was the most recent event I heard commented on. But the whole picture, the forest, is not in view for them because the culture surrounding them early in life was absolutely American. (not trying to sound like a cheeky millennial; I go off what I’ve heard)

Anonymous said...

Have you seen the one where a whole chapter at the University of Oklahoma was shut down, and two students were expelled, just because they sang/chanted "There will never be a nigger in SAE (Sigma Alpha Epsilon)"?

Talk about out of proportion, i imagined at least some burning crosses, but just this?!?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDSffcVIVFg

Fraternity to investigate racist 'incidents' elsewhere, what a joke.

This actually made it to the CNN front page, i just cannot believe it...

peterike said...

Apropos of all this, at a high school in New Hampshire, there are 82 languages spoken. Yup, eighty-f'in-two.

How can any nation survive this?

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20150308/NEWS0606/150309225

I may be a boomer (tail end), but I am firmly in the dissolution camp. I welcome secession and I hope somebody starts the trend, but I give that about a 1% chance of happening. And if it did, it would be Lincoln Redux and the Feds would crush it instantly, via armed invasion if necessary.

Of course, the notion of loosely joined states that largely ran their own show was the genius of the original American system. But that is also long gone, the Constitution a toilet roll, and our future one of turmoil and disorder.

The only hope for the future as I see it is somebody in the military rising up in a coup and taking over the country. But that's also hugely unlikely. America is just too big. Brazilification seems the most likely future. I mean, we're already there, really.

nikcrit said...

Another reason why I skew more the tradition and technology way is that we have some amazing technology now, and should have even more in the near future. 3D printing, genetic work, robotics and even small advances in nuclear and solar power are all on the table. I am not a scientist so I cannot explain how game changing room-temperature superconductors would be, but I have read it would be awesome. Could small regions make a run for legitimate autarky? I think it’s possible. Are we possibly on the way to making humans redundant and immersive VR and potential shared networks so good that may redefine what people want for existence, so plugging in and being set up in pods might be the vote? Yes, and this would fill retirement homes of people under 55 plugging in and saying goodbye.

I casually sense that caucasians primarily and alt-right types in particular hold a transcending faith and fealty to concepts of mimeosis; via art movements such as realism and of course through technology fields like robotism; technology itself, in the western world, the word itself implies a replicative quality. i remember this commenter at sagatsays blog discussing a post about a.i. robotic advances in japan and there was an almost tangible masturbatory tone to his remarks; he was reverent toward the creator and almost envious in conveying his kudos...conversely, i think other european intellectuals nad artists sense that tendency in western aesthetics and, as a counter-measure, i believe that certain highbrow Euros resist that tendency by embracing NAM folk customs and artifacts, in the form of primitivism, be it through dance, sculpture and various world music forms, with jazz perhaps filling that role stateside.
To me, there's something cold and spiritually awry in partaking an earnest quest to approximate real organic life through technology; by my lights the abyss between spirit, flesh and inanimate manmade artifact is unbridgeable and therefore ineffable.

Pvt. Jaybird said...

I am a layman, but I believe people confuse "capitalism" with "free market", just as they confuse "freedom" with "liberty" and "license".

Scott's Bluff said...

Oh Hell I have another story about my Boomer English teacher. She decorated an entire wall in commemoration of Black History Month and brought over the one black teacher in the school to show it off. “Do you like my wall?” *slowly begins to smirk, crow’s feet half a foot wide beam from her eyes* She was so proud of that shit. MLK, Malcolm X, and I’m sure even a few rappers in there. Absolutely must’ve had 2pac.

nikcrit said...

"...I welcome secession and I hope somebody starts the trend, but I give that about a 1% chance of happening. And if it did, it would be Lincoln Redux and the Feds would crush it instantly, via armed invasion if necessary.
Of course, the notion of loosely joined states that largely ran their own show was the genius of the original American system. But that is also long gone, the Constitution a toilet roll, and our future one of turmoil and disorder."


When I get pessmimistic and start thinking along the above lines, I do my own personal 'daily meditation': I remind myself that it was only 12 to 20 years ago that we routinely heard about America entering a new age of middle-class millionaires and recession-proof economic cycles.

The other thing I do is try to remind myself that the 'the problem' is relatively new and thus 'manageable': All we really have to is TWO THINGS, however considerable: contain the current underclass ---- the black underclass is not growing numerically, however much a cost it is already---- and stop, dead in its tracks, any and all illegal immigration, and there are conflicting numbers and views re. if the number of illegals is still rising every year. (of course, the part that's not-so-easy to come up with bromides for is the repatrization issue, the sending back of millions already here; that IS a pipedream.)

But those two things, alone and each and of itself, are doable and therefore possible.

nikcrit said...

How can any nation survive this?

@peterike,
lolzz, yeah, even here in the heartland, you'll see notices for workshops in which it reads "those who apply and arrive for open interviews but don't speak fluent Spanish will be immediately sent home!"---- this, of workshop duty that would benefit but not require bilinguality!

I mean, what might be a extracurricular advantage among candidates is turned into a cursing admonition.

Portlander said...

I remind myself that it was only 12 to 20 years ago that we routinely heard about America entering a new age of middle-class millionaires and recession-proof economic cycles.

It was consciously sabotaged by the NYC-WDC financial-political axis powers.

I remember all the hand-wringing in the late 90's about the national debt being retired and then where would all our pensions go for AAA bonds. Ha! The hand-wringing was a population self-confident enough that they couldn't be financially exploited and enslaved.

SoBL this is a timely post because just this morning Mrs. Portlander and I were listening to NPR and they were having a dire piece on Idaho bucking the Real ID Act. In passing they mentioned Idaho isn't alone, that Washington state and Oregon also bucked it. The thing is, the only real teeth to it is at airports. I said if States would stand up to the Feds, they Feds would fold like a cheap suit. Like any classic bully, they are all bluster. The Feds don't make anything. They don't have anything anyone else wants. If a few states said piss-off to you and your Real ID, and people couldn't fly, airlines would very quickly start howling, and the Homeland Security Corp would cave.

As it relates to your piece today, in a similar fashion, if a few states got together and seceded, the blow-back as productive people decided to move there would give lie to all the 'diversity is strength' and 'immigrants are more economically vital than native whites' propaganda. And for that reason it would be met with the same overwhelming force as Putin and every other Middle East petty tyrant that has suggested abandonment of the petro-dollar has been met with.

No, our future, sadly, is Latin Americanization. A thin veneer of rent-seeking uber-elite billionaires, a smallish corps of skilled, but scared, middle-class workers that keep the economic engine turning over, and a vast ocean of underclass dependents used to keep the middle-class encouraged.

Skeptical? Look no further than California. Sailer (as well as many others) has said California is 20 years in front of the rest of the country. Being in Portland I'm close enough to California to see it, its spill-over, and the direction of things to come.

Toddy Cat said...

"Boomers don’t believe in US decline."

This one certainly does. Over my lifetime, I've seen my country turn from an actual country into a reasonable facsimile of a lunatic asylum. And it was all utterly unnecessary.

Portlander said...

Ops: The hand-wringing was over a population [strike: self-confident] secure enough that they couldn't be financially exploited and enslaved.

And since I'm clarifying, for those in the cheap seats... :) here's what the TPTB axis did do to solve their problem:

1) Carrot: Drive down interest rates and lending standards so people would take a hit on the debt crack pipe

2) Stick: Flood the country's existing and largely stable native population by some 10% with foreigners willing to work cheap, live like sardines, and often enough behave badly

The rest, which is housing and education credentials going from ~3 & ~0.5 times median annual salary, to 5 (8-10 in metro-Cal) & 2-4 median annual salary, is history.

Welcome to your gilded cage White America hope you like consumer electronics.

nikcrit said...

@portlander,

So do you believe the damage done since the I.T. boom (e.g., the financial history you cite in your earlier comment) is now undoable? That we're f'ed without chance for recourse at this point?

I'm sincerely asking; I don't feel confident enough to forecast adn assess practical economic problems and conditions.

My hunch would be that the immigration damage wrought during that period is the thing that would be harder to turnaround at this point.

Portlander said...

Yes, it is undoable.

I was optimistic circa 2008-2009, but events since then have shown TPTB axis were able to reassert control and return the system to their desired trajectory of a heavily indebted, ethnically divided society in which the middle class is unable to break free of the cycle of financial dependency.

Elections are too rigged through gerrymandering, media bias, and outright voter-machine fraud for fundamental changes in the status quo to occur.

RE: voter machine fraud -- It sounds incredible, conspiratorial, and spectacular, but I find it far too coincidental that incumbents never lose in tightly contested elections. They only lose in unexpected, off the radar blow-outs.

Toddy Cat said...

Portlander is right, but that's no reason to despair. We can get out of this, but we can't undo it. The only way out is through. I miss my country in the same way that I miss my deceased parents, and with almost the same intensity. But nostalgia is worse than useless at this point, except as a source of data as for what we want for the future, and what to avoid. Those of us who want a better America and a better world have to be like sharks, swimming ever forward...

Portlander said...

Um, yeah... so anything specific?

Portlander said...

Toddy Cat,

Here's one for you:
wow-the-fed-gives-a-giant-fuck-you-to-working-class-americans

I like this guy's sentiment, but he's just another Angry Karl D. At the end of the day screaming at nebulous idiotic voters, or sanely commiserating with like-minded fellow travellers are both so much mental masturbation. The internet is the red pill that in the end you realize is just another blue pill.

When I look around (meatspace included) all I see are pansy-ass talkers and the very occasional crazy that lashes out at the first rank-and-file chump they run into like some rabid dog.

Give blacks their due. They at least are going down fighting for what they believe. Yeah, they are completely wrong on the fundamentals, and they are completely chaotic in their approach, but, hey, that's their intellectual level.

White America, and white Europe for that matter, take their pill -- red or blue it's the same damn pill -- go to the ballot box and ... nothing. BFD.

Portlander said...

Hmm, fixed link...

wow-the-fed-gives-a-giant-fuck-you-to-working-class-americans

Suburban_elk said...

The internet is the red pill that in the end you realize is just another blue pill.

Quote-worthy. And the comment in toto.

As with porn and beer, the internet too is a dead-end.

However, i do like to think that, at its best, the Conversation allows for real people to develop fluency on the important topics, and then with which they will take to the street.

But somehow it does not seem to work that way. Instead of being a practice ground, the internet is an alternate reality.

There is a takeaway conclusion here, somehow, from the question, Is this alternate reality part of Life or is it a substitute?

I think the conclusion is that sane healthy people are incapable of being in two places at once. And that whole problem is the engine that is driving.

Civilization has always become lost in its symbols, and perhaps this virtual reality is, after all, nothing new - it just is new symbols.