How much progressive propaganda can you stuff into a one hour procedural show? Let us count the ways with Chicago Fire. A relative visited and took care of my son while I was working and my wife was away, and she would watch Chicago Fire. While reading, I'd notice ridiculous things in the first episode, so I decided to watch the second episode and count the Narrative stuffing.
1. Female paramedic who wants to be a firefighter on a ladder unit but GD the evil white guy doesn't want a chick in his unit. My God the patriarchy!
2. Same female paramedic is of some mixed or non-white background has her white boyfriend in the ladder unit. Oh yeah the race mixing!
3. Mixed race (black-white) firefighter wants to make contact with his white dad's family. They are cold at first, and his mom explains how they hated on the marriage... in the 1980s. The God damn white privileged bastards! (dying grampa eventually hugs his mixed grandson)
4. White female paramedic looks maybe 85 pounds soaking wet and has a wicked cool and awesome apartment in a terrible part of town where the homeless guy urinates near her doorway sometimes but is nice. So cool. She is a hipster but tough!
5. The leader in their firehouse is black. He also has a white wife, and they might be older but they are expecting a baby. Hi five for the mixing!
6. The motley crew of black, white, and who knows what the heck one guy is are pooling money together for a lunch wagon. Super cool cuisine out of a truck!
7. The tough as nails and by the books fire chief is an old white haired white guy, and sometimes he is too by the book dammit. Damn whites who believe in the rules!
8. Firefighter is declared medically incapable of being a firefighter and another suffers a major accident where the unit does a fundraiser for him because he won't earn no dough. Comedy here being the fictional representation of firefighter economics. This is Chicago. The CFD has a huge negotiated collective bargaining agreement that provides benefits in these instances. First, the guy declared medically ineligible would start receiving either his CFD disability benefit, his paid for sick leave or a private disability insurance payment. In some instances, he'd receive a combination of 2 or all 3. The guy in the accident would start receiving benefits immediately. They would range from 60-100% of the predisability income. There would be no need for a quickie fundraiser for the guy. That would have been the case in the 1980s and earlier, but not now. How is this progressive narrative stuffing? This is a progressive "hide the fact that public employees have great pay and benefits now" narrative.
This entire show is a game of Frogger with the safe spots being conspicuous progressivism Narrative story arcs.
Oh hey look, an advertisement for the second "Russian spies living in suburbia in the '80s" show on television. Wow, thanks Hollywood. Now I know to hate the Russians!