Wednesday, December 10, 2014

They Progged the Music Video to "Take Me to Church"


If you have a radio, you have heard this song. "Take Me to Church" by Hozier is the greatest Elton John song not sung by Elton John. Seriously, somewhere Elton John called Bernie Taupin and screamed, "How did you not write this in 1978?". Hozier sings what amounts to a declaration of intense passion and love for his lady. It's that obsessive love; it consumes your actions to focus just on consummating it. Sex is like pizza where even if it is not great or with a real love, it's good. Sex when paired with burning love is an emotional act akin to religious rituals. Side note: at the root of most of  Houellebecq's fictional pairings is that modern Westerners have lost that passion. This tune digs down into your chest, and even my 3 year old sings the chorus, horribly off key and loud. Curiosity got the best of me, and I searched for the official video to cast to my television. 

Hozier and the video director decided to make a political statement with the video. The video is about a gay male couple, and how the evil white guys don't approve and beat them down. This was to protest violence against gays in Russia. This is truly horrible in the sense of a work of art spotlighting a pressing social item of the moment that in reality is tiny as a problem. Here are some violence mixed with love things the video producers chose to avoid:

1. The trafficking of British girls by Muslims in England.
2. The oddly high rape rate in Sweden, which is almost exclusively due to immigrants of another hue.
3. The reality of interracial rape in America.

4. The number of NAM attacks on gays in America.

Those must not be big deals though. Let's all give a nice golf clap for the video producers for creating a video, a short promotional film for the song, that pushes the progressive cause du jour. Those video producers need to "Go to Church LOL".

7 comments:

klaydiss said...

aye, but who *funded* the video

peterike said...

Ok, so I listened to the song (though I deliberately didn't watch the video). And yeah, it's pretty Elton John-ish, especially the chorus, except Elton John could sing and this guy, not so much. And I had never heard this song, or even heard OF this song, prior to this post. But then why would I?

Interesting side note about Elton and Bernie. Bernie used to just write a bunch of lyrics -- basically writing poems, mostly pretty awful poems -- and he'd send them to Elton who would put them to music. They didn't really work "together" on them. For a while there in the 70s, Elton was a real genius of melody (at least a few brilliant ones per album). It's fun to look at Taupin's lyrics and try to read them without music, and you realize how difficult a thing it was for Elton to come up with melodies to match them. Like try these, just read them in a flat voice:

I can't light no more of your darkness
All my pictures seem to fade to black and white
I'm growing tired and time stands still before me
Frozen here on the ladder of my life

Too late to save myself from falling
I took a chance and changed your way of life
But you misread my meaning when I met you
Closed the door and left me blinded by the light


Blech. But put to music they're a wonder.

PA said...

Elton John is a big guilty pleasure of mine.

A number of his songs have a strong emotional connection with events in my youth. "I Guess that's why they Call it the Blues" is probably the biggest one. I saw the video in the late 80s on MTV just before shipping to Basic Training, where I was heartsick over my girlfriend.

PA said...

Peterike: re pop song lyrics being trite absent melody. John Lennon said basically the same thing when he talked about "Across the Universe" being the only song he wrote whose lyrics were poetic enough to stand on their own absent the music.

PA said...

I've wondered about "Nikita," another great Elton John song. Nikita is a man's name. Did Taupin know that?

PA said...

While I'm babbling on about Elton John: there is a great cover of one of his songs -- Sinnead O'Connor doing "No Sacrifice"

Anonymous said...

I can't believe that someone actually wrote that government support and encouragement of jailing and beating gay people in Russia is a 'tiny problem'. Your comment is disgraceful and disgusting.