Friday, July 25, 2014

Planes of World War One

A few weekends ago, I had the pleasure of going to the Wright Air Force Museum. It is a pretty awesome place that is a free museum staffed by volunteers. It has replicas of planes and aircraft from basically the inception of aviation to today, including some spacecraft and missiles. I will admit that you see a drone, and you think, "Yeah, they need drones because they know they cannot trust their population for providing control". With the centennial of the Great War, I took my time with the planes of World War One.

Honestly, many of these planes looked like someone put bicycle wheels, a boat propeller and a car engine together and slapped some wings on them. The men who flew these planes had serious courage as some planes had higher fatality counts for testing than in actual combat. Open cockpits, wings that did not look like they could withstand a six shooter and speeds comparable to a NASCAR are what you get with these planes. The first picture is a Fokker. The rest I did not take notes, and these pictures are off my tablet. I am saving one for next week. It is a bit special, and has a special inventor. Enjoy. I'm on vacation next week, so no posts until August.

Model that the Red Baron flew



This one looked the sturdiest of the era.



Seriously, this looks like a speedboat with wings.


Very Snoopy.




bicycle tires. If it is an effect of the replicas, I feel dumb.


Another Snoopy worthy aircraft.

3 comments:

Portlander said...

I feel like I mentioned this here before, but if you haven't already, definitely add the Naval Air Museum in Pensacola, FL, to your must-see list.

It is enormous. It spans all of naval aviation from WWI to almost the present. It has an incredible pre-WWII to WWII era collection, and the Vietnam era displays were very nice as well.

My only complaint was that it was heart breaking knowing what the country has become and where it is going. Compared to all that was great and all the potential yet to be realized, in that generation from '45 to '75, it's incredible. If I may… never before and certainly never again, will so much be wasted by so few at a cost to so many.

I hate being so maudlin, but white civilization in the 20th Century (to call it European risks leaving out the US, and Western risks leaving out Russia and S. Africa) is like a Greek Tragedy. It's is the story of Icarus for a civilization.

Son of Brock Landers said...

Thanks for the rec Portlander. Ive always been a plane guy. My dad works in aerospace so we saw air shows and displays all growing up. If I'm on the panhandle, I'll check it out. Icarus is a good symbol.

Anonymous said...

Do a post on WWII. Love those old prop planes and the early jets.
Just a recommendation or request.