Tuesday, June 25, 2013

My Introduction to Crossfit

"Hey man, you do crossfit. Think you could design a routine for me" - Me

"I don't think you could handle what I do" - Friend

"Fuck you, I lift 3-4 days a week & do other shit" - Me

"OK, I'll start you light. If you have a 3 day stretch of no lifting do this in the middle...." - Friend

Cycle through the following one immediately after the other.
15 95 lb Thrusters (start in squat position with bar at clavicle + thrust up to press bar overhead)
15 Pull-ups
15 hanging leg raises
15 pushups

Repeat the cycle at 10 reps each, then repeat at 6, then repeat to failure. He said this was light. I am humbled. I will be adding this and other Crossfit routines to my regimen once a week. Here are some examples of Crossfit routines (more here). They all are suppose to be shorter in duration but higher in intensity than your normal idea of a workout.

I'm pretty sure Crossfit is good for you if the betas at Deadspin and tastemakers at the New York Times are portraying Crossfit enthusiasts as elitist, evil, cultish type A overachievers. Seriously, the Times refers to cult, ministry and religious terminology throughout the article. I'm glad the NY Times sent a PhD from Harvard who never wrote on fitness or know anything about it, but is a true believer leftist to report on the new (it was from 2008) fitness idea. Sacrifice, effort, discipline! Oh, the modern sin of trying to physically improve yourself!!!

UPDATE: I'm going to post on different routines I try. I'm also going to try to get behind the psychology of why Crossfit seems to hook people. I'm already looking forward to doing it again just from the first routine and my friend ripping my first try.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only bad thing I've heard about crossfit from friends who do it is rhabdo and other injuries. So be careful. Don't go too hardcore too fast.

Otherwise, Crossfit will make you swole as fuck. Reading the NYT health section will keep you in good enough shape to play badminton with grandmothers, and no better.

PRCD said...

Friends don't let friends crossfit.

Crossfit has several problems along with the arrogance and stupidity of its acolytes: it uses lifts that were meant to be used with low reps and perfect form at high reps for energy systems work (what your friend's routine is). This is a recipe for learning form faults when you eventually get tired of mindlessly exercising like a crossfitter and want to lift some real weight. Secondly, because of the form faults, you are likely to get injured. My friend is a weightlifter, a PT, and treats Xfit injuries all the time. Third, Xfit does not actually make you better at anything except pacing yourself through workouts as your conditioning improves. Your conditioning will peak after about 3-4 weeks. It does for every trainee who does any form of conditioning.

Strength, on the other hand, requires TRAINING composed of careful attention to form and intelligent programming. The xfitters who remain uninjured eventually figure this out and stop doing intense, random energy systems work several times a week in favor of old-fashioned weightlifting.

Son of Brock Landers said...

My friend is not a nut about it, but yeah, there seems to be a superiority vibe to crossfitters. The rhabdo + joint injury issues are a bit worrisome. I'm going to do crossfit once a week in my mix of lifting. I believe in lifting with the core strength builders, bench, squat, deadlift, pullup, shoulder press, as the focus of each workout.

PRCD said...

For the core lifts and introductory programming, there's no better book than "Starting Strength" and the accompanying DVD.

It's good to do energy systems work once a week depending on your recovery abilities. This can be almost anything though, such as hill sprints, prowler pushes, sled drags, slide board. Ross Enamait has a lot of good ideas here.

Avoid core lifts for energy systems work. Never do kipping pull ups.

For your conditioning, nothing beats plain old walking.