Sunday, March 20, 2011

Childhood Identification

Emails forwards still exist. They are not the constant inbox friend-spam they were 10 years ago, but they do exist. A common one is "if you're an 70s/80s/90s kid, you know...". When it comes to childhood identification, I can read the 80s and 90s emails and feel a pull towards either email. I lived through both decades, and spent equal time as a child in them with a couple years in the early 80s without forming memories, and with a couple years of the 90s over age 18. After careful consideration, I can definitely say I am an 80s child.


When reading the 90s child emails, I know the answers. I can identify the moments, the personalities, and the cartoons. While still technically a child, I felt more an aware and active participant than the passive child state in the 90s. The feeling of being a child was so thorough in the 80s despite my lack of awareness in the early 80s. Being born at the tail end of the 70s (I just snuck in), I had equal opportunity for exposure to the 80s and 90s. While I love 90s music, and consider the alternative scene my 'era' of rock, and the hip-hop rap of the 90s far superior to today, my childhood is the 80s. It is not what you know, what you can identify within the era, it is what you feel.

No comments: