Friday, September 03, 2010

New Phase in Work

As I have spent more time in corporate America, my role has changed. I was the learning apprentice that morphed into a high productivity, maverick worker at my first company. I left there to tackle larger and sometimes more complex cases as another high productivity worker for another firm. After learning more than I thought possible in 2 years, I left there for my role of once again high productivity worker. I was wrong when I said last fall that I thought I did 65% more 'widgets' than my peers. I did double. At my recent review, I asked about this. Eye-opening answers.

The goal is not to get people up to my level of output, but to siphon off some of my work and have me do less. I could be freed up for projects elsewhere and developing new hires. Yeah, that kind of shocks me. I knew from my first firm that working on smaller cases was something I could do quicker and in a more efficient manner than most of my peers. I had no clue that my current company wouldn't wan to 'unlock the secret' and push others. I actually can't believe that we're not going to push others more. Oh well. Secretly, I reached my large output numbers in a 40 hour workweek, and I would expect people to get to 75% of my numbers in a 40 hour week. Weird.

Now I get to work a slightly lower workload, developing new hires, working on a project or two, and cultivating the other folks assigned to me to be better and better. I really enjoy what I do, and do not want to get bogged down in projects. I understand the positives working on projects can add to a resume, but that gets into the political side of the work world. As a lover of rewarding people on merit, I dislike that realm of corporate america. I want to stay far from it for a few more years. It just breeds making the wrong ally. I once asked a VP why he didn't make a move for the next level up and he said it was too political and that one false move with the next in line for CEO/Exec VP, and its sayonara. The next phase is starting, and I'm a little wary of it.

No comments: