Monday, September 13, 2010

Goodbye Suits

Roughly a decade ago, I prepared for my senior year in college. I had a terribly intense, short relationship. I had come back from England with a new appreciation for America. I had high hopes to get a job on Wall St. What I didn't have was a suit. If I was going to work on Wall St., I would need at least two suits. You alternate which day you wear them, use a different shirt for contrast, and wear a different outfit on casual Friday. Sounds great in theory, but in reality I would have had ot buy multiple suits to make up for laziness with getting them cleaned.

I went for fittings and searched for a good look. I wanted a black suit for certain, and was open to any other color for suit number two. I had liked how the Euros had 4, 5, or 6 button suits. I managed to buy a black, 4 button suit and a silver, 3 button suit. I turned these into Gambino crime family suits (my roommate's words) by wearing a gold shirt & gold tie under my black suit, and a silver tie always with the silver suit. I'll admit I looked Mobbed up at times. I'd rather have a bit of flash with my suits than look like another stiff douche in a suit. I did not get the Wall St. job, but the suits served me well with my interviews my senior year.

As men do when they do not change shape or size, I never threw the suits out. I have kept them all of these years, and still wear them. I was looking at them the other day and realized I need to donate them to Goodwill (or family). They have served me well at weddings, interviews for multiple jobs, and business trips. They are a marker for a decade of my life. I'm going to be a bit sad giving them away.

No comments: