Monday, August 23, 2010

Mad Men Season 4 Awesomeness

As I typed last week, Mad Men season 4 is giving us great episodes to enjoy. I type 'giving' to stress that these are gifts on the wasteland that is TV. Last Nights episode, The Chrysanthemum and the Sword, was outstanding. Mad Men is back to showing the inside of the agency and little business things instead of focusing so much on Don-Betty. Once again, Alan Speinwall reviews this far better than I ever could type.

True beauty in this episode was watching the evolution of luring in a client. Honda comes calling. Pete sets it up, Roger fights it for his lingering WW2 feelings, and Don finds a way to solve the puzzle and pull off a win. The ruse was fantastic, and it was fun to see Joan, Peggy and Don pulling off the con. They had to solve a problem, but could not break the bank and had to cross cultural barriers to do so. I loved this story arc, and welcome the return of things like this to Mad Men.

Now I don't know whether to be ashamed or excited that I called the Sally Draper 'going to the petting zoo' scene. While watching Sally watch "The man from U.N.C.L.E." and Illya the Russian agent, I said to my wife "are we going to see a Sally Draper masturbation scene?" Literally 5 seconds later it was on. My wife and I have been calling for her future bad behavior as she would be a teen in the late 60s-early 70s, and did not think she'd start so early. Punching your brother and kissing a neighbor while playin' grown ups are normal things. Chopping off your hair so your dad will notice you and masturbating at 10 while your friends sleep are outside the mainstream. Sally Draper is played by a good child actor, and she has really been enjoyable to watch onscreen since the start of season 3. Thank you Mad Men!

3 comments:

Mad Men Girl said...

Hey!

I've entered a contest to win a walk-on role on that retro-licious TV show, "Mad Men".

If you wouldn't mind taking a couple of seconds to vote for me, go to my blog, or copy and paste the following link which goes right to my picture:

http://madmencastingcall.amctv.com/browse/detail/EZ3MBH

Thanks a bunch!

Son of Brock Landers said...

I voted for my friend who had a way more true to the era outfit and picture. You have a hat on and a drink in your hand.

Mad Men Girl said...

We are all just doing the best we can with what we have... I wish your friend all the best.