Friday, April 23, 2010

3D HD TVs are Coming

3D HD TVs are coming. I test viewed one at the Final 4 weekend from LG. It was a basketball game they were showing and it looked cool, but not mind blowing cool. I see the market for this, which will grow as cable systems move to 3d content, but I doubt people will happily fork over $2500-2700 for a 45 inch tv. You can get 45 inch HD TVs for under $750 now (I've seen even lower).


It's a horrible recession. Unemployment (U3, easiest measure) could stay above 8% for the next 4 years. There is not a lot of 3D content out there. Why is any company rolling out with a 3D HD TV which is 3x the cost of similar sized HD TVs currently on the market? Who is going to buy this? I see this falling flat on its face for a few years, and being adopted slowly, very slowly. Only way this has a quick spread is if they can cut the cost quickly, and the networks + Comcast/Time Warner offer every channel in 3D.

No comments: