Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Suicide Listing

Every month we get a report on large life claims (exceeding $100,000) that were paid in the preceding month. This month there was a claim, paid in January, for a 32 year old male for over $350,000 working at 5th/3rd bank. This fellow killed himself between Christmas and New Years. Many people have demonized bankers recently, including myself, but there is probably a much bigger story in his life than purely any loss on the market or fear for his job. I get these reports each month and the suicides stick out no matter what. Cancer, accidents and heart disease are the steady killers, but suicide is still a shocker to see. This one hit hard because of how young the individual was with so much ahead of him. Too bad he could not find one reason to keep on, one reason to not make that fatal choice. I love my job, but this is a feature I'd drop in a heartbeat if I could.

No comments: