Sunday, February 14, 2010

The John Mayer Interview

This interview (I linked to pg. 2 where it gets good) is getting press because John Mayer used the n-word, 'nigger'. I'm not going to defend him or criticize him, but I think that word has moved to a zone where you can't use it in public even if explaining something about the nature of the word itself. Weird. Well, count how many times he says douchebag in the interview. He is hypersensitive about being considered a douchebag, yet many things he says in the interview exemplify a male douchebag. The question right before the hood pass vs. nigger pass Q&A involves him saying he is "very". Not very anything, just V-E-R-Y. The references to just being 32. I gotta be 32. That's V-E-R-Y d-o-u-c-h-e-y. He mentions not caring if some kid calls him a douche bag on his blog, but he comes across as really wanting to prove he isn't a douchebag.

Mayer: "Because I want to show her I'm not like every other guy. Because I hate other men. When I'm f*cking you, I'm trying to f*ck every man who's ever f*cked you, but in his ass, so you'll say, 'No one's ever done that to me in bed'".

At this point in the article, I think he is actively trying to perform a satirical portrayal of the self absorbed, douchebag celebrity. He has of course 'apologized' for his use of the n-word. His apology does poke fun at people going nuts when he was trying to discuss the nature of acceptance and using it vs. hood. Good for him. Still, if he had balls and truly felt he had a hood pass, he'd never have apologized. Carlin and Lenny Bruce never would have apologized. James Taylor is still waiting for that royalty check for stealing his schtick, John, pay up.

Mayer: "I want to be with myself, still, and lie in bed with only the infinite unknown. That's 32, man."

No comments: