Tuesday, December 29, 2009
Monday, December 28, 2009
I'm all for security measures, better safe than sorry. I'm just a bit mystified that the Brits rejected him for a visa, but then we gave him a visa. I'm not surprised that he got onboard with lax security in Europe. I remember boarding an overnight train with no security to check me getting onto the train. I could have boarded with a backpack of C4.
Sunday, December 27, 2009
Saturday, December 26, 2009
Friday, December 25, 2009
Thursday, December 24, 2009
Wednesday, December 23, 2009
I went through a short phase where I'd play this on WINAMP after I'd walk back to my dorm room. The folly of youth. I had to make up for the gloom of dry spells. Laugh & roll your eyes but it's better than the guy I knew who played "O Fortuna" from Carmina Burana whenever he had sex on repeat (3-5 mins total).
Tuesday, December 22, 2009
"Why do you speak such good Chinese?"
"Because I am Chinese!"
Monday, December 21, 2009
Sunday, December 20, 2009
I can see why the the admin and SCOTUS were against this or rejected it. These are not citizens, and the persons applying for this are involved in a military conflict, yet are not uniformed military combatants. This is a slippery issue in any war, but especially a war involving jihadists who come from all over. Are they just mercenaries with a sense of religion or are they something else? I'm not sympathetic to jihadists and terrorists, but it's not just them that this could apply to.
The first link up top voices the concern. What happens when a Prez comes into power with a Nixonian view of enemies and is overzealous with naming people enemy combatants. Nixon (and to a lesser degree Clinton) loved using the IRS to harass enemies. Do we fall down the rabbit hole of unpersons (very Soviet) and hiding people away in Gulags because they are not a person, therefore not eligible for Constitutional protection. I'm no legal expert. I'm just a concerned citizen. Part of why I am drawn to limited government is that laws and powers can be used in completely different ways in different hands. If the law is on the books, they can use it. If there is no law, they have no power. Look at the bill of rights and notice how many of those laws are negative powers for the government. It states what the government cannot do.
Saturday, December 19, 2009
Potential Challengers: Simmons, Giuliani, Toomey, Blunt, Tarkanian, Lowden, Buck, Norton, Portman.
I did not link to Rudy's site since he will have an easy time fundraising. Primaries will eliminate some of the above names, but all dollars help.
This sham reform does not have tort reform which would be a direct boon for all Americans (excluding lawyers), and help reduce expenses and premiums by up to 10%.
"The United States cannot force foreign governments to increase their holdings of Treasuries," Zhu Min said, "Double the holdings? It's definitely impossible".
"The US current account deficit is falling as residents' savings increase, so its trade turnover is falling, which means the US is supplying fewer dollars to the rest of the world. The world does not have so much money to buy more US Treasuries".
This is not a Democrat or Republican thing. Both parties are responsible for running up deficits, it's just they are trillion dollars a year under the Dems instead of hundreds of billions under the GOP. Tea Party supporters will look like Cassandras not 'teabaggers' as Anderson Cooper, the POTUS, and Rahm call them. Does anyone watch Anderson Cooper anymore? Buy gold.
Then again, this is small potatoes. This guy has much bigger shams on his hands: softening up to dictatorships while they call you the devil (Chavez in Copenhagen) or give you the finger on their nukes (Iran) isn't 'smart diplomacy', 'outstanding climate change progress' that is called 'a sham' by AGW supporters isn't really progress, and health care reform without the public option, a medicare buy in age drop, tort reform, portability reform or interstate competition isn't reform.
"They come to be the war between us". Music starts around the 50 second mark. Downtown Julie Brown is talking to them in the beginning. Wubba wubba wubba. It is amazing how much they sound like the studio track. They are not studio magic.
Saab had sexy looking swoop back hatchback cars. They looked like sexmobiles. You drive a Saab and maybe you drink good wine & can't be tied down to one partner. If I had been a 20-something in the '80s, I would have worn a baby blue polo shirt, draped a yellow sweater over my shoulders with the sleeves tied in front of me, and hopped in a Saab with a girl on the way to a romantic sex session on the beach at Kinney Shores. Saabs were unique and appealing. Back in the '80s, so many cars had that boxy look. Car edges were squared off and many looked cookie cutter. The back of the Saab was similar to the 1980s Porsche 911s in that they had a soft feminine curve to them. It was different, and different can sell. There is talk that 'different' has helped Toyota sell Scions and Priuses. As the years go by, and fewer Saabs are on the roads, I will smile when I pass one. Saab, you will be missed.
Friday, December 18, 2009
I love when they are breaking it down with the "your eyes have a mist from the smoke of a distant fire".
Sounds great live. Lead vocalist sounds exactly as he does in the studio cut. Only creepier live-studio similarity I have ever heard is Mr. Finn from Crowded House.
If the US government wanted to reduce CO2, they would have used some of that $787 billion stimulus plan to fund nuclear reactor construction (or guarantee nuke loans) so that we reduced the amount of coal we burned for electricity. Could't they have kicked $125 billion to build 10 plants to kickstart the switch. Direct CO2 reduction!
To Quote along with back of the envelope math at the link:
One third of the CO2 emitted in the US from human activity comes from burning
coal to make electricity.
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Tuesday, December 15, 2009
By not breaking them up, when the next crisis hits and asset concentration is even worse for the big banks, the govt will have no one to point the finger at by themselves. The Obama admin is so short sighted not to see that the next time a shoe drops and a fuck up happens in the financial/econ world, people will ask them why Barry and Co did not breakt he big banks up to prevent this. This is kind of like preventing a 2nd terrorist attack after 9/11. Bush-Cheney knew if that did happen again, they'd be blamed. It's hard to rally around leaders who let the same shit happen twice on their watch.
Then again, I thought everyone went to college having had sex. Not at Cornell in the late '90s.
Sunday, December 13, 2009
The China one child policy has had odd consequences like missing women. Big surprise that a society that binds women's feet and isn't enlightened like Western Europe and the USA would use abortion as a way to pick what gender their one child will be. Infanticide depresses us all (except extreme abortion rights supporters and NJ prom dates), and it's sad the rise of the infant mortality rate of baby girls in China since their one child policy was enacted. Sounds fan-freaking-tastic, let's apply this policy to the entire world and see how well that goes. As if sub-Saharan or Muslim countries would be 'pro baby girl'. We'd probably have a female deficit epidemic worldwide by 2075. Screw climate change, our biggest problem would be calming down the nations with skewed male-female ratios.
This is why I want more climate research before we enact weird policies or arcane cap n trade schemes that will damage the economy more than it will help the environment. A big question a lot of skeptics want answered is: if CO2 makes the earth warmer, why have temperatures not risen since 1998 while CO2 levels have risen steadily? Let's figure that one out. Maybe there is a way to scrub the CO2 out of the atmosphere. Maybe we could switch to geothermal and nuclear fuel for electricty generation instead of coal (too easy). If there's something else we did from 1998 to now that offset the CO2, maybe that's the key to mitigating 'anthro-global warming', not crazy trading schemes Goldman Sachs can game or government policies that intrude on the basic right of every woman.
Saturday, December 12, 2009
It should be written that voters who mailed in their ballots before the end of the season deserve a smackdown. An award about the entire season should wait for the end of the season. C.J. Spiller put on a show in the ACC championship. McCoy and Suh still had to play that night. No one should have voted after the SEC title game. It is also very obvious that no one should be voting for Tim Tebow, but he will still get votes. It is laughable how stubborn human beings can be, and how territorial & loyal people can be even with silly awards in sports.
Happy Hannukah Ilya.
Thursday, December 10, 2009
Wednesday, December 09, 2009
1. Take studio art classes, art history classes, design, photography, and other art inclined classes.
2. Pretend to be a shy gay man who is a virgin. Women open up to gay men really fast.
3. Make friends with 'art' girls in non-threatening way. Study says they are the best bet for f*cking.
4. When alone with them & talking about art, philosophy or whatever, make her feel smarter than you.
5. Say "I've never felt this way about a girl, but you are so attractive and appealing, I'm so confused", give her pupy dog eye look. Maybe fake tears.
6. Have sex for the semester covertly but break up because while you can have sex with her, you'll never love her because you still think that in a romantic and soul mate way, you're still gay. Say "If I were straight, it'd definitely be with you".
7. Repeat the next semester in a new class.
This is horrible. This is despicable. This works. Lying and manipulating people are bad things. If you are a nerd who can't get laid at all, try alternative routes. Take desperate measures. Sometimes the ends can justify the means. I discussed this multistep plan with my wife, and she admitted it would be hard to resist.
1. Appeals to college girls' need to feel smart.
2. Appeals to their vanity that a gay man might possibly turn away from the love that dare not speak its name for her. This is a conquest or challenge for them. Even after you ditch them, they will tell their friends they 'turned' a gay guy once. I have heard that exact phrase "turned a gay guy".
3. You establish an emotional intimacy and connection prior to contact as you go the gay friend route. Seriously, why the hell do women open up to gay men so quickly?
If all else fails, just wait 5-10 years for your big bucks to roll in. By then, you'll be able to buy a mail order bride.
is a 5 day period at home drama free, at least delusion free.
is a 30 min period with my immediate family where they don't softly guilt trip me about living 1000 miles away.
is for people to stop using the phrase madonna/whore complex because they heard it in a Feminist Theory class once 10 years ago. I hear them indirectly, and always think they are saying madonna is a whore, affirming their statement instinctively.
For the World at Large
is the 'public option' to die, maybe all of this phony health care reform.
is cap n trade carbon trading scam legislation to die a quick death.
is unemployment to drop back to those horrible Bush era numbers of 5 or 6%.
is good luck and good shooting for the 30,000 additional troops going to Afganistan.
is a night of peace and a feeling of safety for all abused kids out there so they can dream of a merry Christmas.
Tuesday, December 08, 2009
Now I am not saying cheating is OK, but in the weird moral pyramid in my soul and/or brain, cheating with one person is better than with multiple people, and cheating with multiple people is better than cheating with multiple sex industry workers. One would assume there are different feelings of betrayal and humiliation involved with the multiple partners and then with the multiple porn actresses while pregnant twice played out in modern media. WWTDD the website hits it on the head with the latest floozy. Tiger should have been checking to make sure she was a 'she' first. What was his check list: fake boobs, check, bad face, check, trashy look, check, somehow connected to a shady night time industry, check?????
I'm throwing this out there, but what if there is a Spitzer element? What if Tiger is dropping down in class or status of partners because there is something that Tiger enjoys that is abnormal? At this point, if a love child is out there, I will not be surprised. Is there a tranny out there who has 'dated' Tiger? What else is going to crawl out of the slime that is his philandering other side. Cee-lo sang it best "Closet freak". This is not news nor is it any of our business, but god damn is it hilarious to see the fast, public slide of a false god.
Between this and Jersey Shore, I have not been able to formulate a good essay on Iran. I've been meaning to type one as the Iranians are giving Obama and the West the middle finger, and with increase of troops in Afganistan to be 100K total, the US will have over 200K troops on either side of Iran.
Sunday, December 06, 2009
There is the baby boomer issue of competition for status. Having your child succeed at sports is just another outlet for that. God forbid they just enjoy sports; they have to be the best at all costs. Part of the problem is 'success' stories from over the top, psychotic parents like Tiger Woods' dad, the Williams sisters' dad, Martina Hingis' mom, looking at it maybe every tennis players' parent. Does anyone think an 8 year old really wants to hit 1000 tennis balls each day? Does anyone think a toddler wants to hit a golf ball with real clubs? No. These are parental ambitions expressed through their child. Stage parents.
Previously, or at least I think previously, I blogged about an article on Todd Marinovich, and how it should be must read material for all parents of little athletes. It's a cautionary tale of pushing kids too hard. Marinovich's childhood sounds eerily similar to Tiger Woods' in that he has weird training that no kid should go through and an obsessed father/enabling mother. One is demonized, the other glorified.
Here's an example of Marinovich training: "A vision specialist made Todd wear prism glasses, stand on a balanced beam in a darkened room, and bounce a ball while reciting multiplication tables".
Here's Tiger Woods' golf training: "two years of psychological boot camp during which Earl dropped golf bags and pumped cart brakes during Tiger's backswings, jingled change and rolled balls across his line of vision to test his nerves".
One is a famous flame out, the other is the most famous athlete in the world. The results should not color how the process is evaluated. The Marinovich story is a cautionary tale. Why is Papa Marinovich's behavior becoming mainstream? Maybe not to the detail of diet and training, but overtraining for 9 year olds with .01% chance of becoming a pro athlete. Tiger's childhood from baby stage to present was not much different. What does a 12-18 month old gain from swinging a golf club? How does a parent start training a 3 year old how to answer questions from the media and think it is OK? I'd love to be his shrink, as there is a treasure trove of things to discuss. There's an economics term called 'opportunity cost', and this comes to mind here. What if the Woods family had encouraged Tiger down a different path? Even just being more easy going might have created a different golfer and definitely a different person. At what cost did that process, that special psycho training, rob him of being a more normal overachiever?
Just reading the SI article I linked to earlier this week, you will read quotes from a parent who either is the greatest con man-promoter in the world or is a true beliver that his child will change the world more than Gandhi and Buddha. I believe he was a true believer. Part of his zealot behavior could be attributed to a need to believe that what he did was worth it. Who else would be drilling a toddler to play an old man's game, handling reporters and then pimping him on talk shows? He crossed a line, and created a storyline of destiny that would validate his actions. He repeated it enough that he did believe it. In a lighter way, this behavior is going on across our nation. Parents may not admit it, but Tiger is that example they can point to in order to rationalize their behavior. There are far more flame outs than there are Tigers. Parents should pay attention.
This video is of Tiger at 3 on the Mike Douglas show. You know that at 2, Tiger wasn't arranging this appearance...
Saturday, December 05, 2009
2. Learn to lock your cell phone
3. Target people who have something to lose or low self esteem (the Kirby Puckett method)
4. Don't leave voicemails
5. Don't send dirty texts
6. Use codewords and nicknames
7. When caught, get between your wife and weaponry
8. You have a prenup, don't renegotiate it
9. Don't do freaky sex on the side. Do that with your wife
10. Stay away from girls with collagen lips
- They all have nicknames. It's automatic. As one guy meets a girl, instead of asking her name he says "Wass your nickname?" There's Jwoww, Jolie, Pauly D, the Situation, and Snooki.
- They manage to say Snooki in every way but Snooki. They say snickers, sneakers, snookums, sneaky, etc. It's a running joke for all viewers.
- Duck phone + retarded guidette princess = comedy gold
- "you gotta work out, then shower, get ya hair cut, then wait to iron yer shirt and shave right before you leave so you look fresh" - That's how you prep the day of going out for a guy.
- They could do an episode of them just getting ready to go out. 20 bottles of product per hairdo, including the guys.
- This subculture is open about steroids as the guys talk about it, and the girls love juiceheads. Yup, just what we need, positive talk about steroids.
- "The Situation" might be the perfect example of a butterface for men. This dude juices quite a bit to get his arms huge, and has super skinny legs and a fug face. He might bein his 20s but looks mid 30s. He's an idiot as well. He loves the word situation. Not just because it's his nickname but it's the biggest word he knows and uses. During one stretch he uses it 4 times in 2 sentences.
- They really love tanning. Men and women. They have tanning equipment in their homes. They are gross.
- One girl has the worst fake boobs I've seen outside of a strip club. Bolted on, dont move, could fit a remote control between them. She's also fugly, has a 50 yr old cigarette smoker's voice and has blonde streaks in her dark hair. Gross.
- Cast member Vinny seems decent. He makes fun of the overprocessed guys that he will share a house with, and has a funny personality. I laugh with him more than laugh at him, which is unlike the rest of dem guys.
- There is an all natural girl on the show, and she looks just like the woman from "Property Virgins". Just like her. I will find pics. She talks about being all natural and the Kim Kardasian of statten island, as if that is a good thing. It's not. You're not, but I'll give you props for not tanning and not buying upgrades.
- Two people throw up on the 1st episode, one semi-fight, one girl makes out with two different cast mates, multiple middle figners are thrown, and multiple girls get in the hot tub with only their undies on. Kind of gross.
- The instant best friends or couple kind of happens, which makes me laugh on every real world season. Stupid. "Ohmagahhd yous guys are the best people in da world". That's the kind of shit that gets said on this show. "No one pushes my boy", so you get in a fight because someone pushes your housemate that you just met 24 hours ago. Lame.
- One college grad in the house. No word on any of the others. Don't worry he still lives with his mom, and she cries when he leaves the house to go to the Shore.
- These girls still baby the guys in the house and when they are out. One actually walks a guy back to his place after he throws up at the house. WTF???? Men walk women back so they don't walk back alone. She cleans up after him when he throws up.
- Looks like a decent chunk of them can cook, so this might be the best fed group of real worlders ever.
- Essentials for packing: hair product, face cream, lip gloss, and protein shake mix... yeah that about does it.
- The girls all swore at other cars during their drives to the house. Brilliant editing.
- They wear their crosses. Some big ones. I am bummed none of them have the cross that is so big you see Jesus flexing on it like some Italians I knew. Jesus died for your sins and had a 6 pack.
- Fist pumping is a form of dance? Italians still love house music? 70s hot pants are still worn by young women? All news to me.
This is mindless human zoo TV. Turn your brain off and just laugh at these idiots. I do think this will be a ratings success, and I do expect them to do a full 3 month Jersey Shore if this does well next summer. If you wondered why Italian American groups were against this show, stop wondering. The only negative stereotype missing is a mob element.
Thursday, December 03, 2009
Now I know that's incredibly cheeseball. I know that most of the members of Ambrosia had perms or farrah fawcett hairdos. I just can't shake how that is a wonderful, little nugget of what runs through your mind at moments.
Wednesday, December 02, 2009
Tuesday, December 01, 2009
This is not news. I do find a little glee in this though, which is media inspired. The sports media, which is one step above or sideways from entertainment media, has created this Tiger Woods persona that is Jesus Christ with a putter ("blood of four races in his veins"). His was a destiny to change the world. I always viewed him as a machine raised from toddler days to be the perfect golfer by an obsessed dad (like Todd Marinovich only successful). I was wrong, as was SI. He's not going to change the world in a significant way nor is he a machine. He is a man. A common man with common desires. The carefully constructed mask is broken. It's nice to know he is human, but to many people, you were a realization of the abstract that if you work hard enough, you can be the greatest at anything. I enjoy watching him compete, and I'll enjoy watching him squirm under the microscope.