Thursday, May 28, 2009

Dr. Hook

Driving up to Lake Michigan, I heard a Dr. Hook song, Sharing the Night Together. They were a fun, cheesey, and easy listening rock act. All growing up, I thought the lead singer was black. I was a bit surprised to see a rerun of their American Bandstand appearance to promote "when you're in love with a beautiful woman". Seriously, listen to "Sexy Eyes" and describe the lead singer in your mind's eye. They had some ballads and the comical "Cover of the Rolling Stone", but they hit their groove with those 3 minute radio friendly songs with a good beat you could move to. Look it up, Sexy Eyes, Sharing the Night, and Beautiful Woman are all 2:57-2:59 in length. They found their formula and rode it to radio success. I need their greatest hits on album for when I get into my 70s moods.

No comments: