Friday, April 17, 2009

Your Love

Pop brilliance. This is one of my favorite 80s songs of all time. "Billie Jean" narrowly beats it out. Kudos to Sony for posting this on Youtube. Buy the album as there are other good songs. For some odd reaosn, they did not catch on with any other single. This video is well done too, as it tells a bit of a story but is a performance video at the same time. I miss this era of MTV.

The lead singer reminds me of Sting. His vocals and Sting's early 80s style are similar, especially the bridge part where he gets all intimate. My wife constantly forgets that this is called "Your Love", so in my house the code for this song is wailing the intro "Josie's on a vacation far away...". It's a distinct opening. It is also great for playing at hour 4 of a party when enough people have gotten drunk to the point where they will sing songs.

From the depths of my memory, I recall everyone from my older aunts and uncles to me, the little kid, loving this song. This is a missing feature to modern pop music. I think a lot of modern pop music is childish, and rarely do you get a song that can cross generations. AsI wrote earlier, "I kissed a girl" is an incredible pop song, but I don't know anyone over 30 that can stand it. It could be a move away from guitar and drum based pop music for synth and hip hop influenced tunes. Yes, I know synth was huge in the 80s, but there was something a bit artistic about it then compared to now. Now it is about finding that perfect beat to dance to, fuck if it sounds good for late night driving or just tapping your hands on the steering wheel. I'm starting to ramble like an old man.

"Josie's on a vacation far away, Come around and talk it over, so many things that I want to say, you know I like my girls a little bit older..."

No comments: