Wednesday, October 01, 2008

A Good Day for Democracy....

I think we witnessed the beauty and potential of the internet and modern telecommunications with the NO vote by the House of Representatives on Monday for the Paulson Plan. I loved that reps said response from constituents was overwhelming and that they responded to it by voting no. That is what representative democracy is about. Even if it may have been the wrong vote, it expressed the will of the people, which is why they are voted in, right? It makes me happy. This is close to the small town hall referendums that I witnessed in Maine, and even the state wide referendums that I didn't know were peculiar to Maine compared to most other states. There are downsides to direct democracy, but I like the occasional chance to let the people decide on laws that will govern them.

No comments: