Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Poseur of the Month: Lenny Kravitz

It took a while to find someone who irked me so much that I had to post about them being a goddamn poseur. Once I accepted it, I found I had this disgust for Lenny Kravitz that I had been repressing for years. Wait, I love this guy's music. It's incredibly grooving, timeless and always has a good beat. I even like his depressing stuff like the entire album dedicated to his mother's death. He even got down with Lisa Bonet, and they gave the planet a hot daughter. What is wrong with this guy and what did he do to push me over the edge? He is headlining this gawd awful advertising campaign for the 'new love revolution' ads for Kohl's.

This sent me on a google search for Lenny Kravitz ads on "the Google". This man has amazing talent, and it is obvious he can write music, sing and play instruments well. Why is he selling out to everyone under the sun? Money? The guy was born to a music industry man and an actress that anyone who grew up in the late 70s and early 80s knows. Nissan used his big comeback hit "Fly Away" within a year of Fly Away being released as a single for an SUV advert. Tommy Hilfiger, Absolut, Gap, Kohl's, and Levi's jeans have all used his stuff. All the while, this cocksucker writes music about love and peace for 20 fricking years. That's a great theme, and love might be the greatest feeling of all time, but can you progress a little and write a different tune? Stop writing about peace & love and railing against corporations while simultaneously taking millions in by whoring yourself out.

You are a product. You are no longer a musician. You are the output of a system wonderfully described in "Welcome to the Machine" and "Have a Cigar" by the immortal band, Pink Floyd. Stop pretending, and admit what you are: a marionette that they put costumes on and use to sell non-durable goods.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for posting this. I have always thought he was a total douchebag. He thinks he is a rock legend. I don't care what anyone says, Lenny Kravitz cannot sing. "I need to get a..wayyyyyyyyy" just google it and listen to it. He sounds like he is in need of relief from severe constipation. He has ALWAYS been a sell-out. Lenny wanted to have the look, sound, and lifestyle of a rockstar legend but he has no heart and no soul. He is an empty vessel. For him, it is all fashion. I mean, how self indulgent to write an entire album about his relationship with his mom...who was on the Jeffersons....who cares? He wrote it because he has nothing else on his mind.