Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Pop Music Brilliance

For the last few days, my wife and I cannot get that damn song "I Kissed A Girl" out of our heads. First off, this song is a scorching hit right now, but I think had it come out a few years back at the peak of the "what the fuck is up with all of our college age daughters making out with each other" phenomenon, it would be even bigger. Although at 5 weeks at the top of the charts, it's hard to be a bigger hit. The whole girls kissing thing is so cliche now, and when I see young women do it now at parties, it seems like such a desperate act to get attention. These are not Sarah Lawrence undergrads truly questioning the idea of philia with friends and whether that should develop into eros. I'll give the lyrics some props because it's not about getting attention, it's about a girl being attractive. I agree with that idea. Why is this song such a hit? The douchebags at the LA Times break it down, and I actually agree with most of the points written in the column. I love when newspaper columnists try to use big words and snazzy concepts to make you feel like they are smarter than the average person, therefore they deserve to control how you get the news. Sorry for that rant. Stay on target.

A. This is a former Christian singer singing about lezzing out for a night. The PR that generates is going to be worth sales and some airplay.

B. As mentioned in the LA Times article, Cathy fucking Dennis has a hand in this song. She's not Diane Warren, whom through her songwriting has been present everytime a woman has ever cried over loving a man, child, sister, parent, or pet, but Cathy Dennis has skills at writing a good pop song (her own work and Toxic by Britney Spears). Her solo career was a solid effort in the early 90s pop scene, and she may have discovered the formula copied by all of Rap and Hip Hop in the last decade of having a girl sing a and a guy rap horribly in between the woman's significantly superior singing with C'mon and Get my Love. That video is even funnier than I remember because they did the giant letters in a white studio routine and had some terrible dancing. What the heck is going on there? Also, watch her videos for Just Another Dream and Touch Me and tell em they didn't shoot those at the same time.

C. It's a subject that perfectly fits that vapid side of "girl power". Not good "girl power" like get an education, feel self confident, be yourself, and be strong. It's that side of "girl power" that fits in with bad decision tattoos, thinking your tough when you wear leather sex boots and buying a diamond for yourself. "See I'm cool I kissed a girl one night out". Yup, just wake up the next morning and cry with your oversized, overpriced Dolce & Gabana sunglasses.

D. Lesbians everywhere can use this as a lame pick up angle when it comes on at a bar, and they are trying to turn a straight girl. I'm thinking of one in particular, but it's good for lesbians everywhere.

E. Are you kidding me, I waited to put this here, but this is already inducted into the Strip Club Song Hall of Fame. I haven't been to one in years, but now I am looking forward to my next trip to a strip club to hopefully, hear this song and confirm my suspicions. If I ran a strip club, this would be played once an hour.

F. This is the the best example in 2008 of the double standard in regards to being a gay woman in America instead of a gay man. Could this be a hit if it was "I kissed a boy, and I liked it, the feel of his scruff was fantastic"? No.

G. This is the key to everything: the song's unbelievable beat and production. Seriously, she could sing about killing puppies and people would still dance to this track. The beat is what is what sticks in my head all day. I pick up lyrics quickly with a lot of music, but the lyrics are insignificant to me. I am a firm supporter of the "kick it up a notch" school of music, best showcased in the music of the Goo Goo Dolls. This song's kick up to the chorus is really funky and fierce. Two thumbs up.

I do not care if this pop song has any staying power, but I know it will be stuck in my head for a couple of weeks. I will also be on the lookout in my music downloads for the instrumental version of the song.

No comments: