Thursday, December 20, 2007

Turning 28

In a few hours, I turn 28. This is roughly tens years out of high school. Back then, I expected to be married and have maybe a kid or two. If not for my wife's aversion to delivering a child at this moment, I might have fulfilled that old prediction. I am glad it has not come to pass though, as I enjoy weekends of laziness, nights of freedom, and the freedom to do whatever I want to do with my wife without the need to call a babysitter. I love getting older. Time passes so slow for me that I rarely feel like life is progressing. I need the grey hairs, the wrinkles and the flipping of the calendar to make me feel like it is real.

In 15 hours, we head back home to Maine. Supposedly, it is covered in snow, so a white Christmas is guaranteed. How wonderful it is to visit a place with a foot or two of snow on the ground. I do not have to shovel it or drive in it. I just fly in, enjoy the snow blanketed landscape and ice encrusted trees and fly back. My mom is having cake and ice cream for me. Why? I think it is an excuse to have my sister over and get some family time in before the madness.

Just an fyi, do not send anyone on a business trip one week before Christmas. Bad idea. Even worse idea is to have them do what amounts to nothing for two days at that location. I can tell I am getting older. Five years ago, I would have sworn a storm thinking about it. Now, I'm Zen.

Merry Christmas.

1 comment:

"AG" said...

You are wicked old now. Happy birthday and hopefully I'll see you!