Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Sorry Chevy Volt, Maybe I will Buy an Aptera in 7 years

Previously, I have written about GM's prototype, electric car, the Chevy Volt. The Volt seems like it could rock hard core limiting my use of gasoline to a mere sip and giving a big middle finger to oil exporting nations. I want the Volt to be a smashing success for GM, for the reduction in oil consumption, and partly for the environment. I was close to targeting 2014 as the year I bought a Chevy Volt if the Consumer Reports review was decent, but that has all changed. I read this article on the Aptera.

There are better pics of this car with the article. When I first saw it, I felt like one of the Jetsons had parked his or her car in my driveway. What I find so impressive is that the design of this car was centered around aerodynamics. It has three wheels with rear wheel drive, and a hybrid system that is extremely close to the Chevy Volt system. Mostly electric but with a diesel engine to charge the electric motor when you go longer distances. There are solar cells on the roof to slowly charge your vehicle while it parks and to run the AC. Before I get carried away with technogoobledegook, look at the pics at the article's site. This is one of those commuter cars of the future I was promised as a kid.

I see my wife and I having one car for my commute, if we do not end up living close enough for me to walk or bike to work, and one car for the whole family and her odd commutes (multiple sites). I'd love a commuter vehicle like this. That's just what I would view it, which oddly enough is the same way I view my cheap, totally paid for Hyundai Elantra, a commuter car. I'm not my car. My car just gets me to work and back, sometimes a longer trip to visit fam or friends. I get 32 mpg right now. If I could get, with an electric car, infinity mpg, I'd just be rolling around with laughter at the oil exporting nations, marketing companies and minimart retailers.

No comments: