Thursday, February 15, 2007

Being a Libertarian

With the sports drought known as the month of February, I'm posting on a variety of other stuff that I claim makes up some of this blog. One thing that I slowly claim to be aware of as I read more in college, and had more conversations with people who were high as a kite, was that I believed in the freedom of the individual. I aligned myself with Libertarianism more than any other political party or philosophy. A person should be able to do what they want to do as long as it does not infringe on another person's liberty. It just makes sense. My belief in the ending of the war on drugs stems from my belief that people should be allowed to make choices for themselves. I do realize that we need some form of government for basic services, as I think anarcho-capitalism is a bit too the extreme. I just believe we should have as little government as possible. I think that's at the heart of being a native Mainer. Mainers hate the government.

One thing that bothers me about Libertarians is the pansy foreign policy. They are more isolationist, and have not caught up to the fact that you cannot be isolated anymore. The world is too connected through globalization, travel, the Internet and a myriad of other ways to think you can close up shop and keep to yourself. Someone has to figure out a way to modernize Libertarian thought with foregin affairs. Foreign policy is a love of mine, and is how I view many Presidents (probably an unfair way to view them). Please Libertarians, find a way to inject reality into your foreign policy.

1 comment:

Chris said...

Hell yeah for being a Libertarian! Spread the world. A lot of republicans are really Libertarians but they just won't admit it.