Sunday, August 27, 2006

Fantasy Football Draft results

The fantasy football draft countdown was down to 30 minutes left when I signed on and discovered that I had the last pick. The random selection managed to screw me, but the snake draft format and stupid competitors saved me from being stuck with a sh*tty team. Having won back to back titles in FF, I am a little apprehensive to put my rep on the line in a new league.

The first round had a giant surprise with the #4 pick. LJ, Shaun Alexander and LT went in quick order, and then Lamont Jordan was selected with the 4th pick. It was a such a bad pick that a fellow competitor called me to ask if that guy was drinking at his computer. Sadly, alcohol was not an excuse. With Lamont Jordan being picked so high, and another team selecting Steve Smith with the 8 pick, I suddenly found myself looking at Steven Jackson, Edge or Rudi Johnson. To my wonderful surprise Rudi Johnson fell in my lap. I was a very happy FF GM.

Now who to pick with my next pick which was directly after my Rudi steal? I thought about picking up my boy, Julius Jones, but the injury bug worried me. I went with Ronnie Brown thinking that he is not splitting carries this year, which should push his yardage numbers up over 1000 and increase TDs. This established the rythmn that I had to consider picking two guys at once with the snake format. After the initial back to back picks I felt more comfortable and got into a groove.

My team is made up of D. McNabb, R. Johnson, R. Brown, D. Driver and Alge Crumpler as starters; Denver's Defense and Matt Stover as the kicker. My bench is deep: Deuce McAllister, Steve McNair, Eddie Kennison, Chris Cooley, Mark Clayton, and LenDale White. My thought was to stack up on RBs, and take flyers on the McNair/Ravens offense.

What was surprising was seeing Reggie Bush go 3 rounds ahead of Deuce and Joseph Addai go 3 rounds ahead of Dominic Rhodes, yet both rookies are back ups to the vets. Most analysts are expecting Deuce to get 15+ carries a game. I don't get why he fell to round 6. My big regret was not getting Ben Watson or Tom Brady. The Pats will be stuck throwing the ball a lot because Dillon is washed up and Maroney isn't ready yet. I saw the Pats/Skins pre-season game on Saturday and let's just say the Pats have two options when they pass: decrepit Troy Brown and Ben Watson. They need to resign Deion Branch. Both Watson and Brady were picked 3 spots before I could get them, so I will be keeping a keen eye on their progress so I can joke on that FF GM for stealing my picks. Stupid trends in my draft were drafting WRs going early and often and the back ups over starters thing mentioned above. Three different teams had 2 of their first 3 picks be WRs, with one FF GM picking 4 straight WRs. That guy's QB is Jake Plummer, with Brett Favre backing him up. Good luck bozo.

We'll see how things progress, and I will keep all y'all up to date with the "Narnia Centaurs" of the "LT Crack All Stars" league.

No comments: