Monday, April 17, 2006

Boston Marathon

Today I took a half day off from work and watched the Boston Marathon live for the first time in my life. I took some pictures which I hope to post soon on the blog. Unfortunately, my lady forgot to check the batteries and thye died before we could take pictures of the weirdos and really packed running groups. I was truly amazed by two things:

1. The speed of the lead pack. They were on 4:45 pace when we saw them, and it was amazing how quick they blew by us. They are machines more than men. Their Marathon pace was faster than most of the milers I knew in high school.

2. There was a father-son team which finished after many hours because the father was pushing his severely disabled son in the wheelchair. The father was running/pushing for 4+ hours his son. We got home and saw them finish on tv. It was their 25th race. They received the biggest applause when they passed by us and through the streets of our town. It was one of those things that hits your core.

I stand in amazement of people who run Marathons. It truly is an amazing accomplishment physically and mentally. When runners passed us, they had ran 45,000 feet... and still had 2/3rds of the race to go. There is a reason the first Marathon runner died after running the 26.2 miles.

No comments: