Sunday, August 21, 2005

Fight Club

my girland I just finished watching Fight Club. This would be the second movie (Rounders was the first) with Ed Norton that I have watched today, and yes, I think he is an outstanding actor. American History X was the other great movie he made in 1998. I hope that he sticks to acting and stays away from directing. Leave directing for when you are too old for the lead parts like Eastwood does.

To get back to Fight Club, it is an excellent film which adapts the Chuck Pal...nuik book of the same title very well. I have read several of his novels and been impressed by his craft. I enjoy his assault on modern American culture. I enjoy the way protagonists are always unsatisfied with their lives, not fulfilling their full potential, and dealing with broken homes or tough family situations. In other words, I enjoy how his characters seem real.

The movie adaptation of the story Fight Club is a good one directed by David Fincher because it stays true to the book. It follows the book's storyline, except for the ending, almost to a T. The mood and atmosphere feel right. In Fincher style, there is plenty of rain. many shots have that disorienting feel to them, which fits in well with the insomnia that afflicts the narrator. I enjoyed the acting from everyone but I feel Brad Pitt put in a great performance that is overlooked oftentimes because he is 'handsome'. He absolutely becomes Tyler Durden and I bought it from his first scene. This movie review is much shorter than my Boogie Nights review because I feel much deeper about it as a commentary on society.

Fight Club made me think, and the book made me think even more about so much of the BS around us. There are two quotes that I love from this movie......

Tyler Durden: You're not your job. You're not how much money you have in the bank. You're not the car you drive. You're not the contents of your wallet. You're not your fucking khakis. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of the world.

I love this quote because of its message. It is a rallying point for me with how I view things and behaviors of coworkers, friends, family, etc. Seriously, your posessions are just that posessions, objects, things, inanimate objects. So many people get caught up with what others have, how does their stuff match up, and what kind of new things can they get. We put ourselves into debt in order to keep up with the Joneses. You are 25 and single, you do not need the 4 door top-of-the-line sedan to take you to and from work. How much money you have does not determine your worth? I went to college with countless rich kids who were miserable people. Rich people have the same problems and flaws as poor people; they just have the money to pay for rehab, therapy, and good clothes.

Narrator: You had to give it to him: he had a plan. And it started to make sense, in a Tyler sort of way. No fear. No distractions. The ability to let that which does not matter truly slide.

I try to live this way. I let a lot of sh*t slide. If something does not really matter, I do not care. I measure my happiness in life with what I am able to do, the love I share with Melissa, and my friendships. As long as I am not laying on a hospital bed fighting for my life, I am happy. When they say "Don't sweat the small stuff, it's all small stuff", they are telling the truth. I think with life you just have to have an idea or plan. There are a lot of distractions in life, but if you focus on your idea, your plan, you can brush away the small stuff and fully realize what you want. Live life to the fullest.

Listen to Tyler...... The things you own end up owning you.

No comments: